Monday, March 7, 2011

wrestling 101

This year Duke tried a new sport..... wrestling!
I wasn't too keen on it, but wanted to let him try if that's what he wanted to do. Chad wrestled some in school and so he thought it would be a good opportunity for Duke to learn some techniques. So we did it.
At first... it wasn't so bad. But as the season went on, I decided this was by NO means my favorite!
When Duke went up against other boys of his own experience, he did really well!
We were all really proud of him.
But... at his first match... b/c of his weight, he was put up against a 3rd grader who had been wrestling for 2 years. He was really good! Duke knew nothing about this kid until they met on the mat. Needless to say, Duke wasn't prepared and the match didn't go so well.

However, at the next match, they were paired again and Duke held his own.
He also had a match (where for the first time in his sports career, Chad and I were out of town) where he got a baby tooth knocked out!!!!! That did it for me!

I do believe Duke has learned some good techniques that may come in handy at some point, but for now.... I vote we leave the wrestling to someone else!
I'm thinking Duke may feel the same!
He tried it, finished the season, learned a thing or two, now..... moving on!!

Here are some pics from our last match where Duke was put up against another child with the same experience. He came out on top and ended the season well!

Charlie got to wrestle as well! He had much better luck with who he had to wrestle and did really well.


Good Job Duke! He's so well rounded!


Duke runs to Chad after his victory! (this warms my heart!)








Here's to, hopefully!, our first and last year of wrestling!! ha!
(Thanks Kelly for the awesome pics!)


Photobucket

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Love the pictures of Duke running to Chad! Made me tear up! Sweet!